Saturday, June 22, 2013

Gold Cocktail Dress (Simplicity 2497)



Simplicity 2497




Simplicity 2497, Look C -- Sleeveless cocktail dress with ruffle neckline, waistband and pockets. I choose a gold shantung with silkbrocade waistband in a deeper color. I've had this in my pattern stash for awhile and think the pattern has since been discontinued. The shantung material was in my material stash and I meant to use it for my parent's golden anniversary party but I never could sew fast enough to meet these life events. This would probably make a nice dress for an office or wedding party. I tried to put a sweater on it to see if I can dress it down for everyday wear but with all the ruffles around the neck, I felt kind of silly to wear it in a casual setting.

I've since decided that the the gold color next to my skin tone is not that complimentary.  However I lack this color in my wardrobe so at least I now know I need to look for a different shade of gold.
 
If I sewed this again I would probably changed the top half (above the waistband) to something else.  I am not too sure about the ruffles.  Seems overwhelming on me.  Maybe if I make the ruffles a bit smaller, it would work on my small frame.


Front view

My wonky gathering work.
Back view


Silk brocade waistband

Need the pin to hide the off-centered neckline.  Whatever works!


Pattern Description:
Sleeveless dress with ruffles around the neckline, waistband and pockets.
 
Pattern Sizing:
Size 4.  That was the smallest size but still too big on me.  I need to take 1 to 2 inches off on the bust and a little less than that on the waist and hip.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, it looked just like it except her dress fit on her and mine was a bit to big. 

 
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Not easy but it also was not difficult for a beginner like me but it was clear.

 
Likes:
Love pockets on a cocktail dress.  Love the waist.

 
Dislikes:
I think the ruffles around the neck is a little to big for a pint size like me.  I'm petite, and I think it I should narrow the width a bit but that's just me.
 
The original neckline plunges to deep so I had to pull the threads on the stay stitch and moved that slightly up to where I would feel comfortable wearing it.
 
The bodice is not that flattering to someone who doesn't have anything there.  
 
Invisible zipper was hard to sew and took me time to sew the zipper behind one of the pockets.  However, I did it and that's all that counts.
 
Fabric Used:
Shantung with a silk brocade waistband.

The shantung puckered in some areas.  Need to improve on that.  It also ravelled so next time I would do a french seam to keep it neat and tidy.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I'm a beginner sewer so I stayed the course for the most part.  I only slightly change the neckline because I thought it was too plunging for my own comfort.

 
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would sew it again but I would change or remove the ruffles.
 
It wasn't hard to do even for a beginner like me.  I got stumped on some parts but I was able to improvise and made it work.  I would not recommend it to a beginner because the dress I made looks alot better if it fits closer to the body.  Fit is usually a beginner's stumbling block in the early stages of sewing.  Best to do this pattern after gaining more experience.  I obviously don't have enough experience yet so will need to try again, someday.
 
Conclusion:
Overall, I'm happy that I completed the project finally.  The dress is wearable even though it's a bit big .  Wearing a sweater does help hide certain areas that are noticeably big.   But  I am very happy that I finished this.  I improvised on some things but I made it work.  It gives me a boost to go on to the next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment