Saturday, September 7, 2013

Casual Jacket in Fleece - Simplicity 4032

This is my first jacket and just in time since the weather will be getting a little cooler soon enough.  Well all of my sewing projects are firsts since I'm a beginner sewer.  But doing a jacket has to be a milestone, in my book. 

Simplicity 4032 is a great pattern for beginners because it is unlined, the suggested materials are unraveling material like fleece, and very easy to do.  I decided to do Look A at size 8.




I decided to use a lime green fleece material.  Fleece is very easy to sew and very forgiving, it seems.  It also doesn't ravel so the finishing looks very good.  I may look for more projects to do with fleece.








I did have my normal rookie problems (as always).  I didn't realize that the collar was going to be left without seams so I should have been more careful when I cut the collar.  So the collar's edges looks jaggedy from my ever so not careful cutting technique.  The other problem I had was doing the buttonhole on my machine because it seems that the fabric was very thick and I could not place the material underneath my buttonhole foot.  It must be how my machine is built but that took me a long dang time to do but I got it done. 

 
 
 

I decided to skip the ribbon on the collar because I didn't really like how it looked on me.  It was a little fussy and I wanted to keep it simple. This is what the ribbon looks like, attached with a pin.  (It's suppose to be sewn on.) On my petite frame, the ribbon looks huge on me.  It would have hidden my ugly cutting work on the collar but the ribbon looks uglier than my handiwork.




I'll probably do the other jackets and vest one day since I whipped this up pretty fast (like in 5 hours which is fast for me).  Since the seams are princess seams, I may decide to do my next jacket with varying pattern designs to give some unique twist to the jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment